Saturday, September 19, 2009

Education

It starts with education.  Americans today know very little about the founding of our nation.  An organization called Common Core took a survey of what American high schoolers know about history.  The results were dismal.  Common Core blamed it on six years of No Child Left Behind and George Bush.  I concede that No Child Left Behind might possibly have been a factor, but I contend that it started way before that.

High schoolers in Oklahoma were given the citizenship test and only 3% would have passed on the first try as opposed to 92% of immigrants who pass on the first try.  It is not just Oklahoma.  This is a widespread problem.
Highschoolers Fail Citizenship Test

"A primary object…should be the education of our youth in the science of government. In a republic, what species of knowledge can be equally important? And what duty more pressing…than…communicating it to those who are to be the future guardians of the liberties of the country?" -George Washington

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I totally agree! In fact, I think our students should be taught the Citizenship test as a regular part of curriculum. I also am concerned about the lack of memorization skills now, basic grammar, basic math. Students finish high school totally unable to balance a bank statement, much less understand why their debit card runs out of money!
    I am so glad you started this blog and I will be following every single post with deep interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joan! I hope to make this blog interesting and relevant.

    ReplyDelete