Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ted Kennedy's Senate Seat

Democratic voters jumped ship in Massachusetts today as they elected Republican Scott Brown to fill Ted Kennedy's senate seat. One more Republican senator means that the Democrats do not have a filibuster proof majority in the senate any longer. The future of the health care bill now seems to be in jeopardy. One wonders what this election means for Barack Obama. Obama campaigned in Massachusetts for the Democrat Martha Coakley, as did former President Bill Clinton but to no avail. Voters who were surveyed said they did not like having the health care bill stuffed down their throats. Many said they were really voting against Obama rather than for Scott Brown. It remains to be seen if this an ill omen for the Democrats in the midterm elections. In any case, there is a new order in Massachusetts politics and it is a breath of fresh air.

3 comments:

  1. The good people of Massachusetts told pollster after pollster that they wanted to send a message to Washington. My! My! That message has been received loud and clear:

    "WE'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!"

    Congratulations, Massachusetts!

    http://www.tomdegan.blogspot.com

    Tom Degan
    Goshen, NY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thrilled to see the election results from Massachusetts last night. I do not understand much about politics, but I know I feel more hopeful now than I have in a long time. A breath of fresh air, a wave of hope for our beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of the Massachusetts voters for speaking their minds at the ballot box. Last week I heard Scott Brown say it wasn't Kennedy's seat, it was the people's seat. Now, that's the attitude we need to hear more of from Washington, D.C. Let's hope he keeps his priorities straight once he's within the beltway. (I think he will.)

    ReplyDelete